The National Lottery Heritage Fund has put together a £50million fund to support the heritage sector as an immediate response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.  The UK-wide fund will address immediate pressures over the next three-six months for those organisations most in need.

Details of how to apply are available here 

The fund has grants of between £3,000 and £50,000 to organisations across the full breadth of heritage, including parks and gardens, landscapes and nature, historic sites, industrial and maritime heritage, museums, libraries and archives.

Organisations which have received funding in the past and are either a current grantee, or still under contract following a previous grant, can apply. Priority will be given where: there is limited or no access to other sources of support; where heritage is most at risk, or, where an organisation is at risk of severe financial crisis due to COVID-19.

Pausing new grants - to address the crisis, Heritage Fund have halted all new grant applications.

The Heritage Emergency Fund was developed in response to a sector wide survey. Last week the The National Heritage Lottery Fund put out an urgent call for evidence from the heritage sector which 1,200 people responded to. 

Some of the key findings from the survey are:

  • The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is universal: 98% of organisations have been impacted within the first three weeks and the remaining 2% expect some impact in the future

  • COVID-19 is expected to impact on organisational survival: 82% of organisations report high or moderate risk to the long-term viability of their organisation

  • Financial reserves are limited: 46% of organisations can survive for no more than six months

  • Flexible support required: in terms of support from The National Lottery Heritage Fund and other funders, you asked for greater flexibility for existing projects/grants (75%) and emergency funding (53%)

Read the full analysis and blog here